Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Spicy Chicken Salad

I found this off of Robb Wolfs blog (BFF) and it looks super delicious right now. It looks like all he has in his recipe is lettuce, tomato, green chili, and chicken with El Pato sauce. . I must make this for dinner sometime soon . .  who's coming over??


Spicy Chicken Salad!

So…when I’ thinking about cooking I’m usually focused on time efficiency. This means “Must Cook FAST!” but time efficiency does not always mean fast, just efficient. Example? Here you go: A few days ago I decided to make a salad and needed to cook some chicken to add to said salad. If I’d been in a HURRY I would have cut the chicken into strips, put it in a pan with olive oil and a spice like ginger, garlic powder or chili powder and I would have been done in ~5 min. This day however, I planned on washing a mountain of dishes and doing a little cleaning in the kitchen (yep, pretty domesticated) so I had more time to play with. Time for El Pato. I browned the chicken in a pan for about 3 minutes then I added 1-8oz can of El Pato (I’ll talk more about El Pato in a future post). I covered the pan and let it cook on medium for ~30 minutes. During this time I cleaned, organized and generally made myself useful. After cleaning had sucked the life from me, I uncovered the chicken and let the sauce cook down to a tacky consistency. The chicken was falling-apart tender and I simply scooped some onto the salad I had cut previously. Garnished with a bit of green chili sauce, things were looking good!

When everything was said and done the meal cooked for close to an hour but I INVESTED less than 10 minutes in it’s direct preparation. Clean-up included. Keep in mind I made enough chicken to provide about 8 meals (4 for me, 4 for Nicki). That is VERY time efficient cooking that is delicious, nutritious and actually fun to do. If you are less messy than Nicki you might even finish with a clean kitchen….

chicken-salad_1_1_1.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment