Thursday, July 14, 2011

Everyday Paleo "No Potato" Salad

Now I must admit, I never ate a lot of potato salad before becoming paleo, but it is a summer BBQ favorite of mine! I am trying Everday Paleo's "No Potato" Salad this weekend and will be sure to give an update! I'm not so sure I am going to include the pickles though, I might swap it for something just as delicious like broccoli or zucchini! We'll see!


Everyday Paleo “No Potato” Salad


 I made a paleo version using my homemade mayo with a twist, and cauliflower in place of the potatoes.  The result was out of this world delicious and satisfied my longing for the creamy comforting salad that used to be a staple at family gatherings. Everyone at the party gave the salad two big thumbs up!  I apologize for the lack of exact measurements in the recipe, but sometimes when food comes from the heart it simply happens, and I think when you make this dish, it will happen just fine for you as well.  I hope you enjoy!

Everyday Paleo “No Potato” Salad
2 heads of cauliflower
1 dozen eggs, hard-boiled and diced
1/2 a medium sized red onion, finely diced
6-8 celery stalks, finely diced
A lot of dill pickles, diced
About 1 1/2 cups of my Paleo Mayo with 2 tablespoons of dried dill and 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic added.
About 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard
Black pepper to taste
Cut the cauliflower into large florets.  I used my pressure cooker to cook the cauliflower by placing the florets in the cooker, filling the cooker with about 4 inches of water, locking the lid, bringing to pressure and cooking for about 2 1/2 minutes.  Remove from heat immediately and run the cooker under cold water to quickly bring down the pressure.  Remove the lid and pour the cauliflower through a strainer and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.  You want the cauliflower to be soft but not mushy!  If you do not have a pressure cooker, steam the cauliflower around 7-10 minutes, cooking until tender but not mushy.  Rinse the steamed cauliflower under cold water to stop the cooking process.  Drain the cauliflower well and pat dry with paper towels.  Crumble the cauliflower into a large mixing bowl, add all of the remaining ingredients including the mayo, mustard, and pepper and mix well.  Either eat right away or let chill for a couple of hours before serving.  This salad was HUGE and could serve at least 15 people so cut the ingredients in half unless you are feeding a crowd or want a lot of leftovers.
As always, Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment